Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Final 2008 Presidential Debate

Let me open by saying this: this was the best of the three presidential debates. I don't think either candidate strayed too far from their usual talking points, but the style of the debate did force the candidates to address each other more directly, as well as respond to criticism from the other about their respective planks.

With that in mind, I don't really know what we should have expected from this debate. I don't agree with Barack Obama on, honestly, much of anything. I don't agree with John McCain on much, either. Neither told me anything I didn't already know about themselves or each other, or their politics. In fact, both candidates wasted way too much time whining about negative campaigning, although the moderator is perhaps at fault for asking such a pointless question when there are more important issues to talk about.

I do intend to vote for John McCain. I disagree with both candidates on a lot of matters including the economy and health care, but I think McCain's ideas on energy, education, and foreign policy are more in line with my way of thinking. That said, I'm giving this last one to Obama. Sure, he was evasive answering some of McCain's criticisms, but McCain made a few smarmy chuckles and sometimes flat out ignored Obama's explanations of his policies in a way that seemed at best undignified and at worst immature.

Final Score: C

No comments: